Neurohormonal consequences of APS Therapy Study carried out by : Prof. Dr. J.M.C. Oosthuizen MBCHB; DMEDSCI (Head of the Dept. of Physiology; University of the Free Prof. Dr. E.H. de Wet MBCHB; MMED; MD (Dept. of Physiology; University of the Free State) Beta-endorphin, the bodies endogenous analgesic, is a peptide consisting of 31 amino acids with properties similar to morphine. Disadvantages of abnormally high concentrations of plasma beta-endorphin.
• Decreases/volume of the heart.
(Leads to deterioration in patients with heart failure)
• Decreases coronary blood flow.
(Compromises patients with ischaemic heart disease and angina Pectoris)
• Suppresses breathing/decreases tidal volume and respiratory rate.
(Leads to deterioration in patients with chronic obstuctive pulmonary disease, emphysema and/or diffusion disturbances).
• Increases appetite for food and alcohol.
(Causes deterioration of overweight in patients with chronic pain due to large joint disease).
• Inhibits the corticoliberin-corticotropin-cortisol axis.
• Enhances emotional stress. Advantages of a decrease in plasma beta-endorphin concentrations. With the use of APS therapy, plasma beta-endorphin concentrations decrease. This positive results leads to:
• The availability opioid receptors for binding with other potent endogenous opioids the
• APS therapy is safe in patients with:
Ischaemic heart disease, angina pectoris.
• APS therapy may assist in regulating alcohol intake. • APS therapy releases the inhibition of beta-endorphin on cortisol production. Cortisol
• APS therapy will result in the more realistic self-assessment of pain.
1. Findings in the treatment group were attributed solely to APS therapy.
2. On average, a minimum of 5 treatments were required for the desired effect. 3. Findings in the treatment group were consistent with the effect of epidural block for
Cortisol is essential for life because of its major role in maintaining harmonised bodily functions, such as normal psyche, normal glucose metabolism and normal endogenous anti- inflammatory mechanisms. The findings on cortisol
Non significant changes in both the treatment group as well as the placebo group. Advantages of normal serum cortisol concentrations: With the use of APS therapy, serum cortisol concentrations remain within the normal range. This positive results leads to:
• Maintenance of the normal psyche. • Maintenance of normal glucose metabolism.
• Maintenance of normal endogenous anti-inflammatory mechanisms.
1. Findings in both groups were attributed to the normal circadian fluctuations in cortisol
2. Essentially serum cortisol concentrations remain within the normal range.
Leukine enkephalin, the human bodies endogenous analgesic is a pentapeptide consisting of five amino acids with analgesic properties. The findings on leukine enkephalin.
Progressive increase with physiological and clinical relevance in the treatment group, with non significant changes in the placebo group. Advantages of a increase in plasma leukine enkephalin concentrations. With the use of APS therapy, plasma leukine enkephalin concentrations increase. This positive results leads to:
• More effective analgesic due to interaction with opioid receptors as well as inhibition
of substance P (the neurotransmitter responsible for pain transmission).
• Limitations of tissue damage at sites of inflammation and/or hypoxia. • Increase in pulse rate and systemic blood pressure, associated with peripheral
vasodilation which results in better perfusion at the affected areas.
• APS therapy is safe in patients with ischaemic heart disease and/or angina pectoris.
1. Findings in the treatment group were attributed to APS therapy. 2. On average, a minimum of 4 treatments was required for the desired effect.
3. Findings in the treatment group were contrary to the effect on a epidural block for
Melatonin, the human bodies endogenous anti anxiety agent, is a derivative from the nutritionally essential amino acids tryptophane, with sedative and anxiolytic properties. The most notable physiological effects of melatonin include:
• Sedation • Relief of anxiety • Analgesia • Activation of anti-inflammatory mechanisms
The findings on melatonin
Progressive increase with physiological and clinical relevance in the treatment group, with non significant changes in the placebo group. Advantages of an increase in plasma melatonin concentrations: With the use of APS therapy plasma melatonin concentrations increase. This positive results leads to:
• More effective analgesic. • Sedation and reduction of anxiety. • Enhancement of renal function with more effective removal of waste products. • Patients with renal pathology can safely apply this device. • Local vasodilation and anticoagulation, with limitation of tissue damage at sites of
inflammation due to the effects on prostaglandins and free oxygen radicals. (Apply APS therapy with caution in patients using anticoagulation therapy warfarin, heparin).
• APS therapy is safe for patients suffering from ischaemic heart disease and/or angina
• APS therapy may be effective in the prevention of seasonal affective disorders and
1. Findings in the treatment group were attributed to APS therapy. 2. On average, a minimum of two treatments were required for the desired effect.
Seratonin is the endogenous derivative from the nutritionally essential amino acid tryptophane with antidepressant and anorectic properties. There is outcry about the safety of elevated seratonin levels. Findings on seratonin:
Non significant changes in both the treatment group as well as the placebo group. Advantages of normal serum seratonin concentrations. With the use of APS therapy, serum seratonin concentrations remain within the normal range. This positive results leads to:
• A low risk of anxiety disorders and depression. • No risk of seratonin syndrome which is associated with heart valve lesions. • A low risk of the derangement of the secretion of other life sustaining hormones, e.g.
beta-endorphin, melatonin and grow hormones.
• Adequate amounts of seratonin available for the biosynthesis of melatonin.
1. Findings during the first treatment session in the treatment group were attributed to
2. Essentially serum seratonin concentrations remain within the normal range.
Indications for the use of the APS Therapy device (scientifically proven).
• Acute and chronic pain conditions • Sports injuries
APS Therapy has the following effects on pain management:
1. Analgesia, owing to more effective utilisation of endogenous opoids and the inhibition
2. Reduction of pain and more realistic self-assessment of pain. 3. Anti-inflammatory effects, owing to beneficial influences of the prostaglandin
4. Local vasodilation and better perfusion of affected areas with limitation of tissue
damage at sites of inflammation/hypoxia.
Please take note: The APS Therapy device can be safely used on patients suffering from:
• Heart failure. • Ischemic heart disease and engina pectoris. • Vascular insufficiency. • Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, emphysema and/or respiratory diffusion
• Renal pathology. • Thrombosis. • Pain associated with cancer.
• The APS Therapy device was not tested on pregnant women or children under the age
• The APS Therapy device should be used with caution on patients on anti-clotting
therapy, as well as underweight persons. (BMI ‹19kg/m2) Medical supervision is advised.
• The efficiacy of the APS Therapy device may be compromised by the concurrent
intake of alchohol, ß-blockers (sympatholytics), and non-steroidal anti-inflammatory analgesics.
• A minimum of five treatment sessions of APS Therapy is indicated. Is a patient does
not respond after six treatment sessions, treatment should be discontinued temporarily for at least on week. In cases where there is no pain relief after six treatment sessions,
the patient should be referred to a physician.
• A balanced diet providing essential nutrients, is recommended. For a beneficial effect,
additional supplementation with amino acids and calcium is strongly recommended.
• Regulation of food and alchohol intake. • Prevention of seasonal affectice isorders, depression and jet lag. • Normalisation of sleep patterns. • Improvement of blood circulation in patients with cardiovascular disorders, vascular
• Possibility of substitution of anti-inflammatory drugs/antidepressants/sedatives and
Pressestimmen "Dieses Buch erzählt die bewegende Geschichte eines hochbegabten Mediziners,dessen Leben im Alkohol versinkt. Es ist aber auch die Geschichte eineraufsehenserregenden Entdeckung. Wenn Sie oder ein Mensch, der Ihnen nahesteht, an Alkoholsucht leiden, MÜSSEN Sie dieses Buch lesen." David Servan-Schreiber, Autor von "Das Antikrebs-Buch""Dieses Buch ist etwas
w o m e n ’ s • Hormone Therapy Facts • Defining Bioidentical HEALTH •Your Hormone Options • Start with Your Symptoms UPDATES •Questions to Ask • Resources National Women’s Health Resource Center, Inc. form of estrogen, primarily avail-able during pregnancy when it isHormone Therapy Options: produced by the placenta. Eachform works differently in differentpa