You are about to experience new levels of healthy sleep, relaxation and renewal.
Our Tranquil Moments® Sound Therapy System represents over two decades of research into using sound to heal and positively change states of consciousness. It is the result of successful clinical work with thousands of patients. It also exemplifies the Brookstone® commitment to making life better through innovative design and an unyielding commitment to excellence.
The Tranquil Moments® Sound Therapy System. Welcome to a world of innovation.
• TO REDUCE THE RISK OF ELECTRIC SHOCK, DO NOT REMOVE ANY COMPONENTS. THERE ARE NO SERVICEABLE PARTS INSIDE. • TO REDUCE THE RISK OF FIRE OR ELECTRIC SHOCK, DO NOT EXPOSE THIS UNIT TO WATER OR MOISTURE.
The lightning flash with arrow-head symbol within an equilateral triangle is intended to alert the user to the presence of uninsulated “dangerous voltage” within the unit’s enclosure that may be of sufficient magnitude to constitute a risk of electric shock.
The exclamation point within an equilateral triangle is intended to alert the user to the presence of important operating and maintenance (servicing) instructions in the literature accompanying the unit.
PLEASE READ FIRST1. Al the safety and operating instructions should be read, fol owed, adhered
to and retained for future reference.
2. The unit should not be used near water, such as a bathtub, swimming pool,
washbowl, kitchen sink, laundry tub or in a wet basement.
3. Care should be taken so that objects do not fal and liquids are not spil ed
4. Do not reach for unit if it has fal en into water. Unplug it immediately. 5. The unit should be situated away from heat sources such as radiators, heat
registers, stoves or other appliances (including amplifiers) that produce heat.
6. This unit may be subject to interference from external sources such as
transformers, electric motors or other electronic devices. To avoid distortion
created by such sources, it is advised that you place the unit as far away from
7. Do not apply excessive force when using any switches or controls. 8. The unit should be connected to a power supply only of the type described
in the operating instructions or as marked on the unit.
9. Precautions should be taken so that the grounding or polarization means
10. Power supply cords should be routed so that they are not likely to be walked on
or pinched by items placed on or against them, paying particular attention to
cords at plugs, convenience receptacles and the point where they exit the unit.
11. The unit is equipped with an attachment plug with overload protection.
This is a safety feature. If replacement of the plug is required, be sure the
service technician uses a replacement plug specified by the manufacturer
that has the same overload protection as the original plug.
12. The unit should be cleaned only as recommendedin the instructions. 13. The power cord of the unit should be unplugged from the outlet when left
14. The user should not attempt to service the unit beyond that described in
15. Do not attempt to clean the unit with a chemical solvent as this might
damage the finish. Use a clean, dry cloth.
• Operate controls and switches as described in the manual. • Before turning on the power, make certain that the power cord is properly
connected to the electrical outlet. • When moving the unit, be sure to first unplug the power cord. • Avoid placing this unit in areas that are exposed to direct sunlight or close
to heat-radiating products such as electric heaters. Do not place unit on top
of stereo equipment that radiates heat. • Avoid placing the unit in areas that are dusty, humid and moist, lack ventilation or are subject to constant vibration.
FCC INFORMATIONThis equipment has been tested and found to comply with the limits for a Class B Digital Device, pursuant to Part 15 of the FCC Rules. These limits are designed to provide reasonable protection against harmful interference in a residential instal ation. This equipment generates, uses, and can radiate radio frequency energy, and if not instal ed and used in accordance with the instructions, may cause harmful interference to radio communications. However, there is no guarantee that interference wil not occur in a particular instal ation. If this equipment does cause harmful interference to radio or television reception, which can be determined by turning the equipment off and on, the user is encouraged to try to correct the interference by one or more of the fol owing measures:
• Reorient or relocate the receiving antenna. • Increase the separation between the equipment and receiver. • Connect the equipment to an outlet on a circuit different from the one to which the receiver is connected. • Consult the dealer or an experienced radio/TV technician for help.
This device complies with Part 15 of the FCC Rules. Operation is subject to the fol owing two conditions:1. This device may not cause harmful interference. 2. This device must accept any interference received, including interference
• Dispose of the old batteries properly. Do not dispose of the old batteries in a fire. • Do not leave the batteries where a child or pet could play with or swallow them. If the batteries are swallowed, contact a physician immediately. • The batteries may explode if mistreated. Do not attempt to disassemble the batteries. • Use only fresh batteries of the required size and type. Do not mix old and new batteries, different types of batteries, or rechargeable batteries of different capacities.
SYSTEM OPERATIONCONNECTINg THE AC ADAPTERConnect the included AC adapter to the DC 7.5V jack located on the back of the unit and plug the AC adapter into an electrical outlet. When plugged in, the unit wil not draw any power from the batteries instal ed in the battery compartment. note: If a power outage occurs, the unit will automatically switch to battery power.
INSERTINg BATTERIES FOR BACKUP1. Open the battery door located on the bottom of the unit. 2. Insert 4 AA alkaline batteries (not included) according to polarity indicators
note: The unit features a memory function that repeats your last played sound at the same volume and timer setting.
SELECTINg SOUNDSThis unit advances the state of sound therapy by incorporating scientifical y engineered sound programs developed by Dr. Jeffrey Thompson. In his years of practice at the Center for Neuroacoustic Research, Dr. Thompson has helped mil ions of people sleep better, relax easier and think more effectively. Dr. Thompson has taken that research and developed seven therapy sounds—SERENITY, UNWIND, CELESTIAL, SUMMER NIGHT, MEDITATE, FOCUS and REJUVENATE—exclusively for the Tranquil Moments® Sound Therapy System. This unit also incorporates five authentic digital recordings of our most popular nature sounds—OCEAN SURF, THUNDERSTORM, WHITE NOISE, RAIN and STREAM—that were recorded in the wild by one of the world’s foremost nature recorders. These 12 sounds are further described below and are classified in three SOUND CATEGORIES—Relax, Sleep and Renew.
• OCEAN SURF: The ocean surf provides a calm rhythm that helps create a relaxing oceanside environment. • THUNDERSTORM: Relax to the exhilarating yet soothing sound of distant thunder as gentle rain fal s upon a remote lake. • SERENITY: The calming and delicately slowed sounds of the ancient Indian tamboura and a gentle, rippling stream activate ALPHA-brainwave patterns to promote a healthy, enjoyable state of relaxation. • UNWIND: A soothing array of musical instruments and slowed natural human body sounds stimulate ALPHA brainwaves for the ultimate in deep relaxation.
• WHITE NOISE: The steady flow of a cascading waterfal is perfect as “natural white noise” for masking unwanted background sounds.
• RAIN: A tranquil rainfal provides a peaceful setting for sleep. The rain sound is particularly good at masking higher-toned background noise.
• CELESTIAL: Deep pulsations from string instruments coax your mind into a DELTA-brainwave state, thereby encouraging a restful and rejuvenating sleep.
• SUMMER NIgHT: A slowed chorus of crickets combined with NASA-recorded sounds from Jupiter activate DELTA brainwaves and create a wonderful y calming sleep environment.
• STREAM: A rippling mountain stream helps you unwind and creates an excel ent background sound for daily activities in the home or at the office.
• MEDITATE: The enlightening tones of Tibetan singing bowls played at various speeds are blended with instruments and the slowed sounds of a stream and birds to activate THETA brainwaves, thereby creating an ideal meditative state.
• FOCUS: Authentic NASA recordings from Earth’s orbit and the smal est moon of Uranus (Miranda) are mixed with music for a unique and effective THETA-brainwave enhancing sound environment.
• REJUVENATE: The appealing slowed sounds of an Austrian zither and rain stimulate THETA-brainwave activity to provide a natural, gentle and revitalizing lift.
BRAINWAVE ENTRAINMENT— THE SCIENTIFIC BREAKTHROUgH OF SOUND THERAPYAl of us experience different states of consciousness throughout our daily lives. Some states are frequent, such as ordinary waking consciousness, sleep and dreaming, while others are less frequent states, like when we are particularly aware or extra creative. Al of these states exhibit unique patterns of brainwaves that have been mapped and measured over years by many experts, particularly Dr. Jeffrey Thompson.
By understanding the variety of brainwaves that occur during these different states, Dr. Thompson has been able to develop sounds, music and techniques that cause your brain to produce the state that you want to experience.
Safe, al -natural and clinical y proven, this work has helped mil ions of people sleep better, relax and think more effectively.
One technique commonly used by Dr. Thompson is “entrainment.” This natural y derived technique is based on the tendency of our brainwaves to adjust to our sound environment so they vibrate in harmony. Just as one tuning fork wil begin to resonate if placed near another ringing tuning fork, your brain wil adopt the frequency of sounds in your environment. This principle is universal and found in chemistry, pharmacology, biology, medicine, psychology, sociology, astronomy, architecture and more. Seven sounds—CELESTIAL, SUMMER NIGHT, MEDITATE, FOCUS, REJUVENATE, SERENITY and UNWIND—utilize these techniques.
DELTA WAVES (0.5-3.5 Hz) DELTA waves are associated with the deepest levels of physical relaxation. DELTA is the rhythm of dreamless sleep and its presence usual y corresponds with physical rejuvenation and healing. CELESTIAL and SUMMER NIGHT utilize DELTA entrainment to induce sleep.
THETA WAVES (3.5–7.0 Hz)THETA waves reflect a state of mind that is attuned to intense creativity, visualization, imagination and problem-solving in a non-sleep state and emotional healing in the sleep state. THETA waves are produced during deep meditation, dreaming and daydreaming. Rapid eye movement (REM) is common in this state. MEDITATE, FOCUS and REJUVENATE utilize THETA entrainment to stimulate mental renewal.
ALPHA WAVES (7.0–13.0 Hz) ALPHA waves indicate an alert state with a quiet mind, like a person who has completed a task and sits down to rest. In this state, attention may be focused outward for problem-solving or inward to achieve an alert meditative state, like pondering. Increased ALPHA waves are often present in the brainwaves of people who practice meditation, yoga and Tai Chi. SERENITY and UNWIND utilize ALPHA entrainment to promote stress reduction or an alert state of relaxation.
Playing SoundsTo play any sound, press the respective SOUND CATEGORY and toggle through that SOUND CATEGORY until you reach your desired sound. A backlight il uminates each sound as it is selected.
Using the TimerWith the unit powered on, press
repeatedly to select the desired length of
time you want your sound to be played—30- 60- or 90-minutes. A backlight il uminates 30, 60 or 90 as it is selected.
note:• If the timer is being used, the sound will gradually fade away and shut off during the last 10 minutes of play time.
• The sound will play continually if you do not use the timer.
Using Sleep Enhancement®Sleep Center research has proven that a gradual slowing of sounds helps promote better sleep and relaxation. When activated, the playback speed of your unit’s 12 sounds gradual y slows down over a 20-minute period to gently lul you to sleep. Once the playback speed reaches its slowest point (close to one half of normal speed) at the 20-minute mark, the playback speed wil remain at this level until the unit automatical y turns itself off. 1. With the unit powered on, press ENHANCE and the backlight il uminates.
2. Press the respective SOUND CATEGORY until you reach your desired sound.
Upon reaching your chosen sound, the unit wil play that sound in a
note: To turn the Sleep Enhancement feature off, press ENHANCE a second time.
cycle through four levels of intensity. • Release
note: Unit defaults to the brightest level.
Connecting HeadphonesThe headphone jack accepts a 1/8" (3.5 mm) monaural or stereo type plug. Sound from the internal speakers wil turn off when this jack is in use. Note: Headphones are not included.
RESETTINg THE UNITShould you experience problems with the proper function of your unit, you may need to reset the unit. To reset the unit, unplug the unit from the electrical outlet (if plugged in) and remove the batteries from the battery compartment for 60 seconds.
• Keep a set schedule Go to bed at the same time each night. Wake up the same time each morning. Avoid sleeping in onweekends, as this prevents your body from developing a healthy sleep rhythm.
• Turn off the TV Keep your bedroom free of televisions, computers and other potential y stressful distractions. Train your body to think of the bedroom only for sleep and other restful activities.
• Avoid caffeine, alcohol and nicotine Stimulants (caffeine, nicotine) and depressants (alcohol) disrupt your body’s natural sleep cycle. Avoid these, particularly within three hours of bedtime.
• Exercise regularly By exercising moderately for 20-30 minutes a day, you’l increase your body’s appetite for healthy sleep. If possible, exercise at least three hours before bedtime.
• Control bedroom temperature Being too hot or too cold frequently prevents people from achieving healthy sleep. Keep the bedroom slightly cool and comfortable.
• Create a welcoming bed Make bedtime a treat—invest in a good, supportive mattress and pil ow. Keep sheets and blankets fresh to create a welcoming, relaxing sleep environment.
• Relax before bedtime Taking a warm bath, reading or engaging in another restful activity prepares the mind and body for a good night’s sleep. If possible, keep a nightly bedtime routine.
ONE (1) YEAR LIMITED WARRANTYBrookstone warrants this product against defects in materials and/or workmanship
under normal use for a period of ONE (1) YEAR from the date of purchase by the original
purchaser (“Warranty Period”). If a defect arises and a valid claim is received within the
Warranty Period, at its option, Brookstone wil either 1) repair the defect at no charge,
using new or refurbished replacement parts, or 2) replace the product with a new product
that is at least functional y equivalent to the original product, or 3) provide a store credit
in the amount of the purchase price of the original product. A replacement product or
part, including a user-instal able part instal ed in accordance with instructions provided
by Brookstone, assumes the remaining warranty of the original product. When a product
or part is exchanged, any replacement item becomes your property and the replaced item
becomes Brookstone’s property. When a store credit is given, the original product must be
returned to Brookstone and becomes Brookstone’s property. Obtaining Service: To obtain warranty service, cal Brookstone Limited Warranty
Service at 1-800-292-9819. Please be prepared to describe the product that needs
service and the nature of the problem. A purchase receipt is required. Al repairs
and replacements must be authorized in advance. Service options, parts availability
and response times wil vary. You are responsible for delivery and the cost of delivery
of the product or any parts to the authorized service center for replacement, per
our instructions. Limits and Exclusions: Coverage under this Limited Warranty is limited to the United
States of America, including the District of Columbia and the U.S. Territories of Guam,
Puerto Rico, and the U.S. Virgin Islands. This Limited Warranty applies only to products manufactured for Brookstone that can
be identified by the “Brookstone” trademark, trade name, or logo affixed to them or
their packaging. The Limited Warranty does not apply to any non-Brookstone products.
Manufacturers or suppliers other than Brookstone may provide their own warranties to the
purchaser, but Brookstone, in so far as permitted by law, provides these products “as is.”This warranty does not apply to: a) damage caused by failure to fol ow instructions relating
to product’s use or the instal ation of components; b) damage caused by accident, abuse,
misuse, fire, floods, earthquake or other external causes; c) damage caused by service
performed by anyone who is not a representative of Brookstone; d) accessories used in
conjunction with a covered product; e) a product or part that has been modified to alter
functionality or capability; f ) items intended to be periodical y replaced by the purchaser
during the normal life of the product including, without limitation, batteries or light
bulbs; or g) any and al pre-existing conditions that occur prior to the effective date of this
Limited Warranty relating to any product sold “as is” including, without limitation, floor
demonstration models and refurbished items. BROOKSTONE SHALL NOT BE LIABLE FOR INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAgES
RESULTINg FROM THE USE OF THIS PRODUCT, OR ARISINg OUT OF ANY BREACH
OF THIS WARRANTY. TO THE EXTENT PERMITTED BY APPLICABLE LAW, BROOKSTONE
DISCLAIMS ANY AND ALL STATUTORY OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDINg, WITHOUT
LIMITATION, WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE
AND WARRANTIES AgAINST HIDDEN OR LATENT DEFECTS. IF BROOKSTONE CANNOT
LAWFULLY DISCLAIM STATUTORY OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES, THEN TO THE EXTENT
PERMITTED BY LAW, ALL SUCH WARRANTIES SHALL BE LIMITED IN DURATION TO THE
DURATION OF THIS EXPRESS WARRANTY. Some states disal ow the exclusion or limitation of incidental or consequential damages
or how long an implied warranty lasts, so the above exclusions or limitations may not
apply to you. This warranty gives you specific legal rights and you may also have other
rights, which vary from state to state.
B E T T E R B Y B R O O K S TO N E ® W E C R E AT E P R O D U C T S T O
M A k E L I F E B E T T E R . T H R O U G H I N N O VAT I V E D E S I G N ,
U N Y I E L D I N G C O M M I T M E N T T O E x C E L L E N C E , W E
M A x I M I z E T H E q U A L I T Y O F O U R P R O D U C T S — A N D
H E L P Y O U E N H A N C E T H E q U A L I T Y O F Y O U R L I F E .
Merrimack, New Hampshire 03054 • Customer Service 800-846-3000 • www.Brookstone.com
Nature of present employment (title, brief description)Have you lost greater than 20 pounds of weight in the last year? . Do you follow a particular food diet or have any special dietary habits? . List the forms and frequency of regular vigorous exercise (swimming, cycling, running) and age you began:Do you have or have you ever had (check all that apply):Have you ever been treated for cancer
Engineering CORBA-based Distributed Systems Ramón Juanes+, Fernando Bellas*, Nieves Rodríguez* and Ángel Viña*+Departamento de Electrónica y Sistemas, Universidad Alfonso X El Sabio, Madrid, CP/ 28691, Spain. *Departamento de Electrónica e Sistemas, Universidade da Coruña, A Coruña, CP/ 15071, Spain. Abstract1 Development of distributed applications is a difficult The origin of