UNITED NATIONS OFFICE AT NAIROBI
JOINT MEDICAL SERVICE.
Malaria is a life-threatening disease caused by a
parasite and is transmitted via the bites of infected
mosquitoes (Plasmodium Anopheles mosquito
every year- is a day of unified
commemoration of the global effort to provide
effective control of malaria around the world-world
Facts about Malaria
• Over 60%of the world’s population lives in
• Malaria kills a child somewhere in the world
• It infects 350-500 million people each year,
killing 1 million, mostly children in Africa.
• Ninety per cent of malaria deaths occur in
• Over 30% of school absenteeism in Africa is
attributed to malaria and other illnesses.
• Malaria is both preventable and treatable.
• Early diagnosis and treatment saves life.
Signs and Symptoms of malaria
These appear between 10 and 15 days after mosquito
bites but may occur even after 60 days, they include:
Who is at increased risk for malaria?
• Travelers coming from areas with no malaria
• Pregnant women and their unborn children.
• Non immune persons while in malaria areas.
• People with lowered immunity such as in
HIV/Aids are usually worst hit by malaria.
• Poverty, lack of knowledge, and little or no
access to health care also contribute to malaria deaths worldwide
Prevention of malaria
Use mosquito repellant nets
-some chemicals such
as permethrin which is a chemical used as a
mosquito repellant sprayed on the clothes and
• Permethrin 0.5 to 1% is available in various
chemists as over the counter medication which is effective for at least 2-6 weeks and may last for up to 1 year even through laundering if its concentration is higher such as in the already treated mosquito nets that last 1 to 4 years or in tablets used for treating mosquito nets.
DEET (N, N-diethyl-m-tiluamide
) is also approved
chemical for skin application on the exposed parts of
the body such as hands, legs as a mosquito repellant
which may last 4-6hours.Its available in 15-33% in
chemists and major hospital pharmacies and offers
• When combined DEET and Permethrin offers
99.9% protection against mosquitoes. Among locally available brands includes: Mijex gel/spray and Mosout spray. These chemicals are not harmful to the body as they are poorly absorbed, and are rapidly deactivated -their rare side effects include itching, redness and dizziness. They should not be applied to the eyes, mouth or broken skin.
• Wear clothing covering most body parts while in
• Clear bushes, long grasses.
• Drain stagnant waters.
• Use of insecticides to kill mosquitoes.
• All pregnant mothers should take appropriate
malaria prophylaxis when going to malaria areas as directed by the Doctor.
• Travelers should take prophylactic medication
when going to malaria areas-per your Dr.
• Seek medical advice for symptoms of malaria
For more information contact-UNON JMS
at: [email protected]
www.malaria signs,symptoms,prevention and
www.Unicef health malaria
www.CDC –facts malaria
www.WHO 10 facts on malaria
www.navy medical Department Pocket Guide to Malaria
Prevention and Control
www.permethrin.wikipeda-the free encyclopedia
www.permethrin cream-topical side effects
Ansell Gloves CE Gloves Lab Gloves Cytostatics permeation chart 15 min Methotrexate 30 min Methotrexate Contact time 60 min Methotrexate Key to Protection level 25°C 37°C 43°C Level 1 : Permeation detected above to 10 times below EN374-3 limit requirementLevel 2 : Permeation detected 10 to 100 times below EN374-3 limit requirementLevel 3 : Permeation detecte
Endura Manufacturing Co. Ltd. TEL 1-800-661-9930Endura’s one-day Oilfield Tank Lining System. This product has been tested and is recommended exclusively for 200 bbl and 400 bbl oilfield storage tanks. Used unde r normal operating conditions this coating system will provide excellent long term performance. Suitability Product Features Endura Oilfield Tank Lining syst